The Borough of Whitaker
The Whitaker family emigrated from Maryland and settled on an 800-acre farm overlooking the Monongahela River in approximately 1785, but left the area before the Civil War. After the Civil War, A. S. Gearing of Pittsburgh bought much of the farm and broke it down into lots. At a town meeting in 1889, residents cast 2 votes to name the borough Gearington, 3 votes for Green Brier and 27 for Whitaker. On January 4, 1904, the borough was granted a charter and approximately 1 month later the first borough government was elected.
The Borough of Whitaker is located in the Steel Valley region of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, approximately 7 miles from the “Point” at Pittsburgh. This cozy community has its business district found in Whitaker Avenue where a various restaurants and shops reside.
Whitaker also maintains a park nestled just off of Arkansas Ave. The park contains both a baseball field and a walking track to be used by residents of the borough. For information about using the field during the season please contact the Borough Offices.
|Total Housing Units:||606|
|Vacant Housing Units:||10.6%|
|Median Household Income:||$38,750|
|Per Capita Income:||$20,209|
|Individuals Below Poverty Line:||15.9%|
- Are you interested in acquiring a vacant lot near your home? If so, Whitaker is a part of Allegheny County’s Vacant Property Recovery Program. For more details download the programs guidelines and contact the County. The process to acquire a vacant property can be initiated at any time throughout the year but the deadline for a discounted rate ends August, 31st.
- A downloadable copy of the borough’s traffic and parking ordinance is now available.
- Closing on a house in Whitaker? Click Here to see what needs to get done before you do.
- Final EIT taxpayer return forms are available here.
- The borough is currently accepting applications for an open police patrol officer position. Please download the application and submit it to the borough offices.
Borough Offices and Council
Borough Offices are located at 124 Grant Street, Whitaker PA 15120 and all mail should be sent to 1500 Ardmore Boulevard Suite 409, Pittsburgh PA 15221. The offices can be reached by Phone at (412) 462-8940 or by Fax at (412) 243-1652.
Office Hours: Monday – Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Staff Person Position
Jean Warren Borough Secretary
Leonard Hilligsburg Fire Chief
Chuck Considine Police Chief
Dodaro Matta & Cambest Solicitor
Glenn Engineering Engineer
Leonard Hilligsburg Emergency Coordinator
The council convenes the second Wednesday of every month at 7:30 pm in the borough offices.
Elected Official Position
Dan Lassige Mayor
Mike Bogesdorfer Council President
David Funk Council Vice President
Albert Race Council Member
Jack Esken Council Member
Edward Morrissey Council Member
Richard C. Lassige Council Member
Robert Asson, Sr. Council Member
Download the latest borough newsletter.
All police matters, whether they are an emergency or non-emergency, should be handled by dialing 911.
|School District:||West Mifflin|
|No Lien Letters:||
Borough of Whitaker
Sewage (Current and Delinquent through October 2012 to Current): $10
Dye Test or Lateral Testing: $300
Occupancy Permit: $50
Borough Real Estate
Please Contact Patricia Pasquantonio at (412) 464 – 1199
Borough Sewage (Prior to October 2012), Real Estate or Garbage contact Jordan Tax Service at (412) 835-5243 x 23
School Tax – Contact Keystone Collections at (724) 978-0300
|Water Service:||Pennsylvania American Water Company|
|Sewage Service:||ALCOSAN (Billed by PAMS)|
|Electric Service:||Duquesne Light|
|Cable:||Comcast and Verizon|